Monday 23 May 2011

A Tour of My Backyard

What did you do this weekend? I'll let you in on what I did... one of my most favourite things... getting my fingers dirty in the garden. Well, I shouldn't say dirty dirty. I always wear gardening gloves. Something about squishy worms directly on my skin isn't exactly appealing. My yard isn't that big, but I've enjoyed every minute of learning to be a gardener. This weekend Scott and I put in all the pressure treated ties to give the gardens a more finished and clean look.



On Friday night I started off with my a trip to a few nurseries with my gardening partner in crime. (Side note: My gardening partner in crime is one of those friends who is a constant encouragement and makes your life seem more exciting because of her enthusiasm for the little things. She's awesome).

I found a few "planter" pictures that inspired me this year. Alot of my house falls under the "shade" category. So when I saw this picture of a planter called "Sizzle in the Shade", I was in love.

...and so I started my own version of it.


Can you see the parsley sneaking out from the back of the pot? It's made up of coleus, new guinea impatients, potato vine, begonia and a spike. That planter also inspired some of my hanging baskets...




I've hidden parsley, cilantro, rosemary, dill and basil in a number of my baskets and pots this year instead of having one big herb pot.















And this is the "sunny" pot, that I found. http://images.whiteflowerfarm.com/87150a.jpg (It wouldn't let me upload the picture). It's got a beautiful red spike, asperatum (which took us a while to find), a beautiful orange coleus, peach million bells and purple petunias. And this is the start of my version of it. I've included lobelia and snuck some rosemary in the back as well!


It inspired some of my "sunny" planters.



 













It's hard to see,...but the above planter has some basil that I started from seed back in march. I'm wishing it the best of luck as it transitions to the great outdoors.






Looking forward to watching them all grow into what I hope they can be! There's something really fun about building the baskets myself and watching them grow everyday! (Yes, everyday. Mock what you may...but it's these little things that make me happy. In contrast, when the animals get into my baskets, it makes me sad, almost personally offended).

And on top of all that...Scott and I finally got our front door painted as well as all the interior doors that we hung a few weeks ago! What a great and productive anniversary weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment