Wednesday 4 May 2011

Candyland Christianity?


Lately I’ve been getting more and more unsatisfied with myself, with what I believe and with what I see around me. Just to premise this whole blog: I don't have the answers to a lot of my questions. But I want to ask the questions and think the thoughts to work through it.

I hear sermons about "everything God can do for me because of what Jesus did 2000 years ago." I hear sermons about "how God wants to heal me, bring life to my life, and do good for me." I believe all these things, but sometimes it feels like it’s stunted. Sometimes I feel like we promote “Candyland Christianity.” It’s full of gumdrops and rainbows. I compare it to Disneyland, because sometimes we promote life with Jesus as a place where “all your dreams come true!”  *Cue Jimminy Cricket singing “When you wish upon a star...”*

See Tammara's blog for more thoughts that have started to poke and prod at my Christian worldview. http://tammaymay.blogspot.com/2011/04/just-watched-this-video-and-this-one.html

I came across a blog by Brian McLaren recently that really REALLY spoke to me.  It was a charge to songwriters and worship leaders, but it plays into thoughts that have been swirling around my head lately:

“Too many of our (worship song) lyrics are embarrassingly personalistic, about Jesus and me. Personal intimacy with God is such a wonderful step above a cold, abstract, wooden recitation of dogma. But it isn’t the whole story. … A popular worship song I’ve heard in many venues in the last few years (and which we used to sing at Cedar Ridge, where I was a pastor) says that worship is “all about You, Jesus,” but apart from that line, it really feels like worship and Christianity in general have become “all about me, me, me.”


If you doubt what I’m saying, listen next time you’re singing in worship. It’s about how Jesus forgives me, embraces me, makes me feel his presence, strengthens me, forgives me, holds me close, touches me, revives me, etc., etc. 


 
Now this is all fine. But if an extraterrestrial outsider from Mars were to observe us, I think he would say either a) that these people are all mildly dysfunctional and need a lot of hug therapy (which is ironic, because they are among the most affluent in the world, having been materially blessed in every way more than any group in history), or b) that they don’t give a rip about the rest of the world, that their religion/spirituality makes them as selfish as any nonChristian, but just in spiritual things rather than material ones. (That last sentence may be worth another read.)”




I was watching a DVD of one of my all time favourite Bible teachers. His message was called, “The Secret to a Worry-Free Life.” Good sermon. Good biblical basis and biblical references. Good theology. But it left me pondering…what’s next? How do we take all the great things that we know about who God is and what God does and continues to do in and through us…but take it a step farther. How do we impact our world and use everything we believe about our heavenly Father and use it to benefit more people, rather than just ourselves…. What steps do we take to bring impact for a better neighbourhood? City? Province? Country?


Does it take tweaking our thinking? Or, will it take a brain shifting overhaul?Brain shifting overhauls are scary. Am I ready for one? I’m not sure.


Ask questions. Journey with me…

No comments:

Post a Comment