Saturday 30 April 2011

Women Who Lift


I did something this morning that I forgot how much I loved doing. Last year around this time, I won a “fitness” challenge at work which got me a membership to Extreme Fitness for a month and 6 personal training sessions. I decided to use these sessions as my intro into weight lifting. I’ve taught BodyPump for 2 years now, but I wanted to know how to lift like the guys do. Low reps, heavy weights as opposed to my muscle endurance training of high reps, lower weights. Well, with my intro to power lifting I also realized that  I LOVED it. I loved the challenge and the intense feeling of strength! Fast forward to one year later.

Today I checked out Crossfit Niagara. I took part in their open gym time and learned so much about lifting. Best part, there were two other girls training for a competition that I got to be inspired by! I think a power lifting competition might be a part of my near future.

Today’s workout included:

Back Squat – 40kg + bar  - 5 rep
Shoulder Pres – 13.5kg + bar – 3 rep
Deadlift – 60kg + bar – 5 rep



Now, as is typical with me and a new venture, I also obtain a desire to purchase items that are required. And what girl doesn’t need an excuse to buy new shoes!  Lifting shoes, that is!!  I didn’t even know that a line of shoes existed for this purpose. I’m so excited. 
 


 

As well, our home would do well to have a foam roller for personal use while watching tv. More online shopping!

 


 Side note: Everyone has a "somebody" that they admire, body features that they appreciate. Here's mine! "Crush" from American Gladiators!

No comments:

Post a Comment