Thursday 14 April 2011

My Latest Distraction

It took me a while to think of the word distraction, because I didn't want to use the word passion, or interest. My distractions, which are random at best, are not passions because they tend to fade with time, and they are greater than interests because I usually drive people insane with them. So distraction it is.

My latest distraction,...the TV show "Love It or List It". Scott and I are big fans of TV. Funny thing is, we rarely watch movies. I'm pretty sure if we had to be banished to a desert island that would  most certainly be the one item we would take. Most of the shows we watch we entertain a mutual interest for. Shows like House, Mayday, NCIS, Biggest Loser, Glee, Flashpoint, but most importantly ... Big Bang Theory. He doesn't like the reality TV shows that I get addicted to like Bachelor and Celebrity Apprentice but he will sometimes sit down long enough and complain through an episode of Grey's Anatomy or Gossip Girl. (I think this tactic is only to win my heart so I pass over the remote). Back to the distraction...

Most people know that I commute from St. Catharines to Vaughan for work each day. I'm looking for a new job as our company is... well,... let's just say there is a good chance my role may not exist in the near future. Given my career choice and where I want to be in 5 years, I resigned myself to the fact that I'll always be commuting to the GTA. I'm just hoping the next role I get I'm only going to Burlington or Oakville. Time will tell... (and so may another blog). Given the pending change in job locations, we've been considering (pipe dream perhaps?) moving to Grimsby or Stoney Creek to ease the commute. I dream of a decent sized home with an open concept kitchen and living area where we could host lots of people!... But, despite a "new home" dream...I find it hard to give up on our home right now. I love the location, the house is the right size...and there is a lot of potential. Another big "staying factor"...I love our mortgage payment.

Onto the distraction..."Love It or List It" finds couples who are trying to decide between renovating and staying at their old home or buying a new one. It's a fabulous show. I started thinking about the things I would want in a new home: a garage, bigger entry way, a walk in closet, an open concept/bigger kitchen, a living room that can host more people comfortably. Three of these things a good renovation could fix. For those of you who know my home, knocking down the wall between the kitchen and living room and redesigning that area would completely change the space.



  

















And if we were to make a half wall where the stairs leading up stairs go, that would completely open up our entry way.



















We've just installed 9 ft x 9ft mirrored closet doors in our bedroom which made it look like a completely new room!


This past weekend we hung 6-panel doors in the upstairs as well, which gives a more sophisticated look.

It's my first home...it's hard to give up on. ...And I love a challenge! I just need a designer to come and make "tweaks" so it can be everything we dreamed it could be!

5 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! And congrats on the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it or List it is a fun show; my girlfriend and I have been watching it for a couple years now, although it's definitely gotten into formula territory -- enough so that I often yell at the TV. I mean, honestly, how many times can you rip apart an entire room/floor/basement to find out that, oops, there's Something Wrong That We Didn't Anticipate BEFORE you say, "Hey, maybe we should see if there are blueprints and plans for this place?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jack: That's my biggest concern. Would they "cause drama" which would inevitably take money out of the finished product. I've yet to see an episode where the designer has done everything they said they would do.. I've downloaded the application form...but i still hesitate filling it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed. We love that show and thought about applying a while back but had the same concerns. Hilary always does an amazing job but she uses a lot of money to do small things (or maybe we're just super duper cheap in the way that WE renovate lol). When we watch the show, we USUALLY end up saying.... forty grand only got them THAT!?? BUT. Like I said, she does great work. Fun blog Laura!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From experience, renovations always end up costing more and taking significantly more time than expected (although this could be because we have been doing everything ourselves). You should consider whether your neighbourhood will allow you to get your money back when you sell. For the kitchen, taking out the wall shouldnt be a problem (assuming it isnt load bearing), but you will have to redo all your cabinets on that side, which may get a bit pricey. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete