Saturday 25 June 2011

Sweet and Savoury Early Summer Eats

Summer is upon us, (though you wouldn't know it with today's cool weather) and the weekend is here. One thing I love about the weekend is making a mess in the kitchen whipping up some food items that I didn't have time to do during the busy work week. 

Today I will share with you 2 recipes that surprisingly turned out really well! I'm not a fan of following recipes to the "T', both because I usually don't have all the ingredients, or I think of some great additions and substitutions! My husband cautiously  humours me in trying my tasty creations, but he's a meat and potatoes guy and is usually just happy pouring bbq sauce over whatever food is on his plate! (I love him for it!)

This year, along with my parents, we are participating in a local CSA with Creekshore Farms. Last week's box of produce came with garlic scapes. 


 
I've never heard of garlic scapes before, but I have been determined to broaden my knowledge of such items and figure out how to use them creatively. I googled some recipes and found one that sounded just up my alley: Garlic Scape Basil Pesto. How could I resist! Especially since I've been wondering what to do with the large amount of basil that I've been growing in the garden this year! This recipe I actually stuck to pretty well...and other than adding a touch too much salt (recent bad habit) it was fabulous!!!

 

And after the savory pesto...it's of course...time for dessert! I found the recipe for Vegan Pistachio Almond Ice Cream on a blog I follow. It sounded delicious! Since I found out I have milk, egg, and gluten intolerance... I enjoy recipe ideas that I know will keep me feeling fabulous after I eat them. 
 
 

I forgot to buy an avocado, so I substituted it with 1/2 of cup of chia pudding. (Which is 2 tablespoons of chia seed in 1/2 cup of milk). I wanted to make sure to keep that creamy consistency and the chia seeds certainly did the trick! I also couldn't find unshelled, unsalted pistachios so I de-shelled a bag full while watching Made of Honour. *sigh Patrick Dempsey*.  I also added in a small handful of unsweetened shredded coconut. 



 I was SO! !!!! impressed that it turned out as sweet as it did! I've portioned half out for a friend and the other half is just for me! Tomorrow is supposed to be a warmer day and I'm looking forward to enjoying a bowl full of my new creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment