Saturday 20 August 2011

DIY Cabinet Hardware

So I would like to preface this post with, "I am not a DIY-er." I love the idea of DIY. I just don't have the attention to detail needed to complete projects in a truly "complete" manner. As always, I was inspired by AKA Designs' blog on 30-Minute Home Improvement Projects. Well, I can honestly say, it wasn't a 30 minute project, but, I had fun none the less. The part that took the longest was taking all the hinges and handles on and off the doors.

I read the blog on a Thursday morning while I was on my month of vacation between jobs. I thought to myself, "Well, I have nothing else planned today!..." 

So, I went to the local hardware store (who will remain nameless because here on in I believe EVERYONE should shop at Lowe's) to pick up some supplies. In total, it cost me $12 for the items I bought: spray paint & screws! (When I checked out the silver hinges, just to see the price difference, they were about $3 each. So I definitely saved a bundle).
 
Prior to my 30-minute home improvement project, my door handles and hinges were a nasty used-to-be brass colour. Here's a few pictures (that I can't seem to get rotated). The lighting makes the cabinets a more yellow tone than their actually taup-y colour.



I did my spray painting outside on our patio table. Note to all impatient DIY'ers...it's worth the extra 2 minutes to go get another garbage bag to cover the other half of the table before spray painting. Lesson definitely learned.




I also bought new silver screws to replace the nasty gold ones so I could reassemble the doors to the cabinets. That's also the reason why the post was delayed for 2 weeks....I was short 11 screws to finish the project! (Though some may say I was short a few more to even attempt the project).

All in all, it was a very easy thing and I'm happy I did it! (Though my husband didn't even notice till I pointed it out).




A final thought to remember when attempting: Despite your impatience to get the project done, it's probably worth the extra time to let the hinges dry completely before flipping them over or putting them back on the doors! Of course, I kind of knew that already,...but hey, I am who I am!

One final time. The before:


The after!


Next project coming up is repainting the rec room! Through many different paint samples thrown about our house, I think I've finally come to the decision of these two from Olympic:

Tightrope (for 2 of the larger walls)

and...Castile (for 2 smaller walls)

1 comment:

  1. Lol. So proud of you!!!! Good job! And for the record o have to point things out to Dean all the time too!

    ReplyDelete